Patricia “Pat” Oaks, CIAO- Assessor
News from the Chief County Assessment Office:
NEW Smartfile E-Filing Portal
We are extremely excited to announce the launch of our new Smartfile E-Filing Portal! Residents can now apply for any homestead exemption ONLINE, this currently includes:
- General Homestead Exemption
- Senior Homestead Exemption
- Disabled Veterans Exemption
- Disabled Persons Exemption
- Senior Freeze Exemption
Signing up is easy, all you need is a valid email address. By creating an account you will have instant access to all of your submissions made online. We are not stopping with just homestead exemptions, in the coming months expect to see filings available for preferential assessments (model homes, open space), assessment appeals, and even applications for tax exempt status (non-homesteads). We hope that you will find this portal more convenient and efficient than paper applications!
The Township Assessor is an elected position (4-year terms). The assessor must be certified by the state and meet the continuing education requirements. As assessor it is my job to value all the parcels within the township. After we have valued the property, we apply the assessed value, which is 33 1/3% of market value. The assessor’s office also applies any exemptions for which property owners qualify. These exemptions include homestead exemptions, senior exemptions, senior freeze exemptions, and home improvement exemptions.
It is the responsibility of the assessor to pick up any new property and add it to the tax roles. This includes new homes and businesses, additions, or anything else that may add value to the property. We receive copies of permits from the nine municipalities and county (unincorporated areas) within the Township. Some services the Assessor’s Office provide are:
- Assist appraisers, realtors, and homeowners with property information.
- Supply names and addresses for properties applying for variances.
- Assist seniors filling for senior homestead exemptions.
- Notify seniors about exemptions through publications and mailings.
- Free notary for residents.
- Provide information requested for assessment appeals.
- Provide records of property sales within the Township.
- Answer questions relating to assessments and the taking process.
2018 Senior Citizen’s Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption
New for 2018, the total household qualification has been increased to $65,000 or less.
- Property Tax Assessment Information
- Lake County Board of Review
- Chief County Assessment Office
- Lake County Treasurer – Real Estate Tax Information
- Veterans Exemption 2018
- Form 4684
- Instructions for Form 4684
- IL. Dept. of Rev. Natural Disaster Income Tax Credit Certificate
- Property Deed Mailing Alert
- Property Tax Relief
- Assessment Review
- Taxing Body Contacts
Anna Marie Klish, C.I.A.O.
NOTE: Due to the prevalence of viruses in today’s society, please put a Pin Number or Address in the Subject line or your email may not be opened.